5 Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
A Greener-Cleaner Workplace: 5 Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
Last week we shared with you a few scary statistics regarding common cleaning products. Did you miss it? Check it out here before you continue.As promised, this week we have our first five tips to help the health of your office and its cleaning practices. These tips will provide you with insight on how to live a greener lifestyle and how to protect yourself from dangerous chemicals that you may encounter.
5 Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle at the Office
- Quick-Fix Means Danger- Avoid air fresheners and fabric protection sprays as they contain chemicals linked to endocrine system issues, like reproductive problems.
- Treating Carpet is a No-No- Stay away from carpet floors if you are opening a new facility. However, if you do have carpet, avoid carpet cleaners and stain resistant treatments that expose your office to chemicals. Rely on a steam-cleaner instead.
- Beware of Old Furniture- In recent years, laws have been created to rid the furniture market of PBDE’s- fire retardants that break down into dangerous metabolites linked to cancer. Old furniture may be putting your office at risk.
- Replace Cleaners with Clever DIY Tricks- For DIY projects, there are many standard household items that can be used to clean surfaces and handle tough odors. These include, but are not limited to, lemon, cooking oil, vinegar and baking soda.
- Carefully inspect Cleaning Product Labels- Even though only 7% of cleaning products adequately disclose their list of ingredients, some do reveal dangerous chemicals on the bottle. Make sure to avoid cleaning products that contain dangerous chemicals like phthalates, formaldehyde, and “chemical surfactants.”
Whether you’re cleaning your home, your office, or hiring a cleaning company be sure you follow these tips to ensure a safe environment. Don’t forget to check in next week to get the final 5 tips for creating a greener, cleaner workplace!
Ready to be your own boss?
Learn more about becoming a business owner with OpenWorks.Apply Now